Sunday, June 5, 2011

True Story - I Live It With You.



"It's not what happens to you that matters... it's what you THINK happens to you."

Think of a time in your life where something negative occurred, and instead of changing the perception of it's reality, you allowed it to dictate your next actions. What if, rather, you took the specifics in that moment, and created your own picture of reality? How different would your outcome have been?

13 years ago, 5 years after I began teaching mental techniques, I experienced this exact situation... one that completely changed my life forever! My doubles partner and I were scheduled to travel to Germany to continue our professional tennis careers; a strategic move that would've catapulted our world ranking. A week prior to leaving, I received a message from him, explaining that he'd no longer be playing due to a potential career change. At first, I was obviously upset, very upset! Didn't he understand the opportunity he was throwing away?! I mean, c'mon... we'd undoubtedly be top ranked doubles players within the year. 

After two days of extreme anger and self-pity, I decided it was time to take my own advice. I made the conscious decision to embrace my partner's decision to quit, and EXPECT better things to arrive. I spent the majority of the next week visualizing and feeling an intense celebration of some kind. I didn't pretend to know what I'd be celebrating or why, just that I'd be throwing my arms in the air, jumping up and down, and thanking God I wasn't able to travel to Germany. I did this when I woke up, a few times in the middle of the day, and again as I went to bed.

Literally, 7 days to the day he quit, I was invited to a members party at the tennis club I was teaching. These parties took place at the same time I'd be finishing with my day on the courts, so I'd be exhausted when they began. After nine hours of teaching, I always looked forward to kicking my feet up, most likely with ice on both knees. I was tired, and wasn't looking forward to this specific party. However, I'd be pleasantly surprised this night. My life was about to change forever!

Two hours into the party, and after playing with a few of my favorite members, I was sitting down, two ice packs attached to my knee caps, when SHE walked up. A friend introduced us: 

"Dayne, I'd like you to meet Liane. Liane, this is Dayne."

Two years later, Liane and I were married, and now have a gorgeous 2 year old daughter!

It's not what happens to you, it's what you THINK happens to you. If I had left for Germany... 

Whatever road block hits you in the face, consciously make the decision to switch it's reality. You always have a choice. The 1% separate with their mindsets, realizing it's always in their control. With control, comes opportunity and definite success!

1 comment:

Retta said...

I missed this post... what a treasure of a story! And it so perfectly illustrates your point. :-)