Thursday, October 28, 2010

Your Story: "Search Within"

Every time I check my inbox, I'm floored at the stories waiting for me. We'll continue posting them as long as my email keeps beeping at me. Send Your Story to dgingo@cox.net, and help someone look at themselves in a way they never have before. Make them believe IT IS possible... they can break through their personal barriers.

This next story comes from someone I've known for over ten years. The mindset and confidence change she's made has been nothing short of miraculous. Specifically, the last two years have been amazing to witness, as I've seen her take on challenges she'd never dream of in the past. She's confident, and walks with this "knowingness" that she CAN... and WILL. 

She holds a special place in my heart. I'm so proud of her... more than she'll ever know!

-------

Hi,

I certainly don’t think I'm an expert, and am not sure I have a whole lot of “correct” advice, but I've been lucky enough to have learned a few lessons. 

With that said, here’s my story:

So many of us walk through life not really knowing where we want to go. I know for sure I'm in that very position right now. I’m not so sure I know what’s right for me. It feels like there are so many days that I'm just not good enough. I’m not smart enough, I'm not tall enough, I'm not fast enough; I'm just less. Then one day, I just decided to stop hating myself, and really just appreciate the person I have become.

I play tennis. I’m a tennis player. To me, those two sentences are completely different. How? In high school, I played tennis. I was never amazing. I was good for the level we were playing - I just played tennis. Now, I'm a tennis player! I can walk into a tournament and not expect myself to lose right away. I can win. I also lose, obviously. But I'm now able to learn things from those losses. I tell Dayne what I need help with or what I noticed, and we WORK ON IT. We worked on my serve for endless days of the summer. I hated it so much. Now, I can serve... really serve. 

I did what I had to in order to get better at this sport. In that alone, I have grown so much. I have realized that maybe I will never be the best, but I certainly am so much better than I thought I could be. I just believed- something so simple, yet we tend not to do.

I’ve gotten pretty used to being the girl that guys aren’t interested in. For a long time that really took a toll on my self-esteem. Now though, I know I'm pretty.  When we pass on the street tomorrow, you might not feel like the need to stop and look my way, but that’s okay with me. I think I'm pretty. And that’s all that matters. Here’s a secret: I don’t always think that. Who does? Really though, as long as you fake it for a while, it’ll become habit. Soon enough I'm going to feel beautiful and I guarantee you, I'll become a bit more beautiful.

The point is, I'm not so sure that there’s a whole lot I can say to inspire you. I know for a fact that life without love or confidence is a miserable one. SO search within. Find what makes you YOU, and start loving it. Embrace the person that you are. And find something you really enjoy. Life has a funny way of taking you exactly where you’re supposed to end up. Don’t be afraid to try that water aerobics class, skydiving adventure, or bowling league. Maybe that’s what you’re supposed to do, but you’ve been too scared. That lesson goes with everything in life.

You really can do anything you set your mind to. You just have to have the right tools. The right tool is YOU. YOU have to be committed.

It's taken a lot of courage to send this to Dayne… so this is for all of you. I’m taking a risk. Take a risk with me! Do something you wouldn’t necessarily do, and prove to yourself how brave you really are! 

Good luck!

-Amy 

2 comments:

Retta said...

I loved reading Amy's story!

"SO search within. Find what makes you YOU, and start loving it. Embrace the person that you are. And find something you really enjoy...."

Very powerful words, very true words.

Loretta
=^..^=

Anonymous said...

order ativan ativan withdrawal signs and symptoms - ativan dosage tablets