Monday, October 18, 2010

Your Story #1... Way Beyond Her Years!



Ok, here we go... my first of many posts featuring you and Your Story. The response has been amazing, so instead of posting one or two per month, I'm going to share a new story every couple of days. I'm not going to put an end date on this feature, so as long as they keep coming, I'll keep posting. Spread the word!

The passion and inspiration I've read in these stories have been incredible... so much so, that I've been forever changed.  If you'd like to Share Your Story, please email me at dgingo@cox.net. It can be a personal life-changer or something you witnessed from a distance, altering your life in some way.

The first personal story comes from a girl WAY beyond her years:


Hi,

I am a 17 year old girl, struggling with obstacles and learning to laugh in the face of fear! 

My life is all about golf. I am planning, not only on playing, but dominating on the LPGA tour in a few years. This life is anything but easy and sometimes when things get tough, I wonder if it's really worth all of the struggles and tears. That's when I remind myself WHY i'm on this journey in the first place. 

Golf is a talent that was given to me by God above, and I believe that I was put here on this earth to show people who He is through golf - call it my destiny if you will. One of the greatest motivations that keeps me going is knowing that God wouldn't put things on my path that He knew I couldn't handle. When things get tough, I know that tomorrow the sun will shine again, and i'll be out there practicing even harder.

I am a perfectionist! I always used to look at the negative side of things rather than the positive. With the help of Coach Dayne I'm learning to make that mental switch, and let me tell you, it is the hardest thing that I've ever done in my life. Just when i think i've broken down a wall, another one pops up again! It's frustrating as heck! All i can do is keep punching and never give up. Golf is a sport unlike any other. It's completely individual and you control the outcome of the shot at hand. That can be a bit scary. Learning how to only focus on what I want instead of what I don't, is something that I am currently working on turning into a habit.

Along with golf challenges I've also faced health obstacles. I have been sick for almost 2 years with something that is still a bit of a mystery. It makes me so tired and weak, I sometimes wonder if I can even get out of bed in the morning. I still find the courage to pick myself up and force myself to carry on and practice for hours. It's definitely not an easy thing to do, but I try my best to stay positive and keep on working on reaching for my life on the LPGA.

There are so many people in my life who help to keep me going. My wonderful coaches, parents, family and friends. Without them, none of this would be possible. 

I am 17. I am a golfer. I am a teenager. I am fearless. I am unstoppable. I am 1%.

I know there are plenty more obstacles to come in my life. I look forward to the challenge of punching them in the face and moving forward. 

This isn't the end of my story, it's just the beginning...Watch out world, I'm coming!

-Mareon Smit
Future LPGA dominator




2 comments:

Retta said...

"I am 17. I am a golfer. I am a teenager. I am fearless. I am unstoppable. I am 1%."

What a great story! I'd be embarrassed to tell you where MY head was at 17. Certainly not as level-headed, determined and courageous as this young woman!

Loretta
=^..^=

Bendigo said...

Awesome story....1%!! At 17 I was worried about.....hmmm can't even remember but it wasn't focused straight ahead that's for sure...