Thursday, January 28, 2010

Could You Use More Of This?


To be good is great. To have passion is wonderful. To want more is outstanding. All of those qualities aren't enough... we must have something else to make them come together and stick for the long term.

We need discipline... lots and lots of discipline!

Want to lose weight, become healthier, and live a new life? What's going to stop us from eating those chocolate chip cookies? What's going to make us get out of bed and run those miles when we'd rather keep sleeping? How do we say no to those offering us a soda... especially our favorite soda that we used to drink by the case? The answer isn't passion, that desperate need for change, or a specific talent we were born with. Discipline is the glue that connects our wants and needs, turning them into long term reality.

Unfortunately, discipline is underrated and rarely talked about in the same sentence as passion and talent. Those two guys are famous for creating change, yet if you ask them, they'll tell you the truth... they'll tell you who the real hero is. Without discipline, passion and talent can only go so far ~ will only reach a few. And the people they do reach will most likely experience their new success for a short time because they failed to reach out and introduce themselves to discipline.

What separates the good from the great? Talent plays a part, passion takes that talent to the next level, but what allows that next level to keep breathing and striving for even more? Discipline, baby! 


Think about your own life for a second and that change you've wanted to make. Maybe you actually did change for a short time, but eventually fell back to your "old self" and your old habits. What was the reason for the setback? Lack of passion or discipline? If the answer is passion, then discipline can't help... and actually won't begin to enter your life until you've solved the passion quiz. Can you look at yourself in the mirror and honestly say you were as discipline as you could've been?

This 'D' word isn't magical, and isn't difficult to find... but we must make a conscious decision to bring him into our life, and be "discipline enough" to keep him here!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Post!!! I really needed to read this tonight! I was starting to lack discipline this evening and was ready to cave in to a late night snack. Then I read your post and I got my discipline back. Thanks!!!

Bendigo said...

Great point...I think maybe you are reading minds....

I agree that discipline is of utmost importance. Unfortunately I find that sometimes my passion sends me in the wrong direction. So I guess having the right game plan (map) is key in there somewhere?

plainolebob said...

Coach Dayne, man i always have problems with discipline, i am not a good disciplinee, as i always put my self in time out, drink a beer, and watch the simpsons, then call it a day.

spldbch said...

You are very right! I've always been a bit compulsive so discipline typically isn't a problem for me. What I do have trouble sticking with tend to be leisure activities. It helps to have someone to do things with because then you have someone to answer to -- to help you to stick with it!

Alice in Wonderland said...

I could call myself pretty disciplined, in fact I am pretty hard on myself! I don't drink alcohol, tea or coffee, I only drink mineral water. I'm vegetarian, run everyday and keep myself pretty fit.
I don't eat junk food. My only downfall is far too many late nights...but that is because I blog far too much!

Missy said...

What a great post and definitely something I needed to hear as I am struggling on day 4 of my "diet."

Phil-theincredibleshrinkingman said...

Great post, and so true, I've just finished day 3 of this weeks plan and what stopped me having that extra piece of pie or drinking down that soda, Discipline, and your so right people (and me too if i'm honest) talk about passion and desire and a range of other things but unless your disciplined it's all going to be a temporary and fleeting success

Matty said...

Discipline is a frame of mind. It keeps you on track. Like a conscience. Like that "good angel" sitting on your one shoulder.

Missy said...

Be sure to check out my blog today.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! I'm just starting to learn about discipline for the first time in my life! It's not what I thought it was! I would say it's more about really making up your mind to do something. Then the discipline comes naturally.